This year’s 146th Annual Meeting theme is “Fisheries Conservation and Management: Making Connections and Building Partnerships.” A fantastic lineup of scientific and networking events is planned for the annual meeting in Kansas City, Missouri, where AFS last met 50 years ago.
Major AFS efforts in 2015-2016 were to follow through on initiatives started in previous years including fisheries education, communications, policy development, collaboration with international fisheries societies, and society governance. Highlights of presidential accomplishments are:
- Assisted in wrapping up several years of Special Committee work examining the state of fisheries education at North American colleges and universities. Findings and recommendations will be featured in the special August issue of Fisheries.
- Appointed a Special Committee to recommend strategies for the future communications of fisheries information within and outside of AFS.
- Appointed a Special Committee to explore AFS development opportunities.
- Supported the creation of a new Imperiled Aquatic Organisms Section within AFS.
- Supported efforts to revise the AFS policy development process and to prepare a document for the new US administration called the “Future of our Nation’s Aquatic Resources.”
- Represented AFS and gave presentations at the annual meetings of the Australian Society of Fisheries Biology, China Society of Fisheries, and the Fisheries Society of the British Isles. Another officer represented AFS at the Japanese Society of Fisheries Science annual meeting.
- Represented AFS, gave a technical presentation, and attended the World Council of Fisheries Societies meeting at the 7th World Fisheries Congress in Busan, South Korea.
- Attended the four AFS Division meetings in Grand Rapids, Michigan (North Central Division); Wheeling, West Virginia (Southern Division); Reno, Nevada (Western Division); and Annapolis, Maryland (Northeastern Division).
- Assisted in organizing the Annual Meeting in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Led several Society governance meetings including an October meeting of AFS officers in Bethesda, Maryland, a mid-year Governing Board meeting in Potomac, Maryland, monthly officer calls, and monthly Management Committee telephone/web meetings.